Thursday 30 January 2020

Clearwater Beach

The next stop on our Florida West Coast tour was Clearwater Beach.  We had anchored there once back in 2014 on our way down the coast but didn't get off the boat. It was one of those pull over and sleep kind of stops.

This time we left the ICW and took a very shallow channel to access an anchorage friends had told us about.  We carefully made our way in and anchored between two densely populated islands in a no wake zone with about ten other boats.  There was a a public dock right there that we could dinghy in to and the glorious Clearwater Beach was just two short blocks away.  I was so excited when I heard that right there at the dock was the public pool.  Yay!  I love to swim for fitness and I make use of the public pools frequently.  It was disappointing to hear it was closed for the "off season".  Wha?!  It just seemed so odd to me that they would consider this the off season when the place was teaming with tourists.  It was hot out!

We spent our time in Clearwater Beach walking the beach and dinghy 'sploring.
Also, knowing that I had a cousin that I had never met and who wintered there in the area, I contacted him and we arranged to meet for lunch.  It was great fun to catch up and as he is quite a bit older than me he was able to share all sorts of old stories about my grandmother who we called "Big Mom", and who I have no memory of.  Priceless!

Gran Vida at Anchor in Clearwater Beach

Lunch with Cousin Augustus Smallwood and his friend Audrey

No comments: